Most dogs are not discriminating with what they put into their mouths. Sticks, wrappers, cardboard, cat litter…you name it, they will eat it. There is nothing quite like the panic owners feel after realizing what their dog has eaten, and wondering what the repercussions may be. The best-case scenario is that there is no fallout, or just mild stomach discomfort. If your dog shows signs of lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea, tremors or seizures, your vet should be contacted immediately. Bringing a sample of what your dog ate, or his vomit may help the vet decide the best course of action.
Here is a list of items around the house that can harm your dog:
- Chocolate (Dark is worse than milk or white)
- Onions and garlic
- Macadamia nuts
- Uncooked bread dough
- Xylitol (found usually in candy, but also in some peanut butters.)
It is very difficult to see what you dog is eating all of the time…they often get into things outside, and many owners don’t realize there is a problem until the dog is already showing symptoms. Knowing how much they consumed and whether it is enough to be a problem is another concern. Owners should follow their instincts and contact their vet if they are not sure. If your vet is not available, the ASPCA has a 24-hour pet poison hotline– (888)426-4435. Another option is the Pet Poison Helpline, which can be reached at (855)764-7661. Fees may apply for these calls.