Every dog owner has a story about something their dog ate, and the consequences that followed. We had a golden retriever named Andy when I was growing up who once ate a bowl full of Hershey kisses. They were the Christmas edition, and all of the red and green wrappers surfaced in the backyard when the snow melted in the spring.
Andy helped himself to all kind of things. He once ate a whole pizza just before an army of especially judgmental relatives arrived for a post-funeral get-together. The pizza worked its way through his system quickly, and Andy left a brown stripe from one end of the family room to another, much to the horror of my mother.
Dogs will eat just about anything. There is story after story about all of the things that have been found and removed from the stomachs of dogs. Here are a few that stand out:
- A dog named Dixie ate a chocolate egg, which was bad enough. Unfortunately, the egg contained a figurine of Homer Simpson, which was removed with surgery.
- A three-year-old child’s rubber duckies kept mysteriously disappearing. His mom caught the family dog eating one, and surgery revealed a total of five duckies in his belly.
- A three-year-old Great Dane was taken to the vet after an episode of severe vomiting. During exploratory surgery, 43.5 socks were found in his stomach.
- Colby, a Golden Retriever puppy, was sent to the vet after two days of vomiting. An intact lightbulb was found in his stomach, and passed after a dose of intravenous fluids.
- Stella, a two-year-old pug, was taken to the vet after she became ill. Doctors found one quarter and 104 pennies, for a total of $1.29.
- Doctors found a deflated soccer ball in the stomach of Bracken, a Labrador. Despite the fact that was lodged near his heart, his surgery was successful and he made a full recovery.
- An English bulldog named Lulu was found with 15 pacifiers in his stomach. Just an idea, but there may have been some resentment over the new baby?!
What crazy things has your dog eaten? Share your stories with us!